Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Skater Spotlight - (#88 ) Harlot Johannson

A good girl with a bad name.

One of the most intriguing aspects of my experience with Women’s Flat Track Roller Derby is how it has affected my perspective of the “every day woman” I come into contact with in my daily life. The ideal woman portrayed to us through the media is a writhing sex pot dancing and singing about the glories of her lady hump. It bothers me that because of this image young men around me are being taught to perceive women as nothing more than sex objects and as trophies to be acquired as proof of their masculine prowess.

The women of the concrete oval are clad in battle armor of elbow and knee pads. Their heads are crowned with safety helmets. The song they sing is one of camaraderie and the strength that comes through teamwork. These woman are looked upon by the young boys sitting in the stands with awe and respect. (You can see it in their eyes at every bout.) It is perhaps the very first time they’ve seen a woman presented as something other than a wiggly jiggling sex toy. It is an epiphany moment for these young men.

The beauty of the roller girl lies in her heart and her spirit. Her triumph is in taking whatever hits land upon her and continuing on with her chin up and her head held high. Her glory is in her ability to survive in a world determined to shove her to the tarmac and stomp her into submission.

Roller Girls are real women. They live in our home towns and our local neighborhoods. They are the threads that hold together our homes, our families and often times our relationships. Damn they’re beautiful...

Oh, and unlike televised pageant queens they can answer straight forward questions with straight forward answers. With that, I give you my first close up interview with one of our hometown heroines.


Interview with a Harlot


1. I can’t help but notice how both little girls and boys look up to you as an inspirational figure. As a role model, what is the most important thing you’d like to say to kids?

I would like them to take note of the strength that all of the women in this sport portray. Also, that we are all women from so many different backgrounds, we do not judge each other or anyone else. We are proud of who we are and who our teammates are. We are athletes; we train, and practice just as you do in any other sport. Just because we are not on ESPN does not mean that we don’t work hard. We sweat, we bleed, and we get hurt and injured the same as all other sports. The difference is, we have to get up and go to a job the next morning, or take care of our children and families. We do not get paid to do this we do it for the pure love of the sport. For us it’s all about passion and heart.

2. What is the most important thing you’ve learned about yourself while participating in the sport of Women’s Flat Track Roller Derby?

I have learned that I have a lot to offer people. I am a strong woman, and a smart woman. I am courageous. I have gained such confidence in myself, I am more willing to try new things, take that first step, and venture off into new territory on my own than ever before. I owe that all to this sport and the women in it.

3. If it all ended tomorrow, what would be your favorite memory of the Roller Derby experience?

I honestly do not have just one. That is impossible for me. I was not an active skater in our exhibition bout in 2006. I remember standing on top of the balcony looking down at the Coliseum at a full house (standing room only) and the never ending line of people trying to get in at the front door. Right then and there, with my heart beating so intensely, I knew this was something huge. Also our end of the year banquet giving out awards to each and every member of our league; Talk Derby to Me our final bout one week ago, and all of the overwhelming emotion that poured out of each one of us as the period clock hit 0:00. Those are just a select few of the endless memories I would take with me.

4. What is the most important thing you’d like your fans to remember about you and your career as a skater?

That I was always thrilled to be on the track, I would always smile and laugh, and that no matter what I always put forth 110%.

5. What is you number one dream in life and has your time as a Gem City Roller Girl helped prepare you to achieve it?

Wow I have many things I would like to do, or try. I guess #1 would be to be an Events planner of some sort, not your typical “wedding planner” (although not ruling it out) a party planner, organizer of large events. (I.E.). Events put on by 5 Rivers Metro Parks, large charity events. Being in this organization I have had the opportunity to be a member of our Events Committee and help to plan and organize Events for our league. So that has helped get me on the right track to achieving my goal.

6. Who is your favorite Roller Derby Fan?

Well naturally you, Dirk Diggler. I would have to say you are up at the top, right underneath my husband and his sister who put on the back of a purple shirt “My sister is a Harlot.” I love that shirt! But also back in April at our Rock n Roller girl Event at Skate World of Kettering, I met a couple probably in the 40’s, the husband’s name was Rick I believe and he was so thrilled to have discovered Roller Derby in Dayton and had not been to a bout yet. I told him that our season opener was in a few weeks at the beginning of May and he and his wife should attend. (As I am trying to sell him raffle tickets) Well he really wanted to win the family 4 pack of tickets to the bout and unfortunately he didn’t but one of our members (a volunteer) did and he said to me “I get in for free, what am I going to do with these?” So I pointed him in the direction of Rick and said “Why not give them to that couple, they are really interested.” So he passed them along to them, and they stopped by on the way out and showed me how someone gave them the tickets. At the home opener I saw him and chatted with him for a few minutes, and he has been back to every one of our bouts ever since and that just makes me smile.


Do you see now why I love this sport?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again you amaze me with your words of encouragement and positivity. We love you Mr. Diggler.

Anonymous said...

What our sweet, modest Harlot isn't telling you is that for about the first year she was with us she couldn't skate regularly for various reasons (and, hence, was an amazing volunteer instead). So all that ass kicking on the floor has evolved and developed in only about six months' time. Now doesn't that make her even more impressive? I certainly think so.